Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Groceries, Zip Lines, Hobo Spiders...Just Another Weekend in Paradise!

Another weekend has come & gone in the land of Orofino. Sometimes I feel like I'm just living for the weekends because Monday-Friday can get pretty mundane and the days start to blend together. But Friday we were invited by some friends to swim at the local motel which is owned by a couple we go to church with. The water was nice & warm & the boys played & swam for two hours before Owen decided he'd had enough & it was time to go.
That evening Jeff stayed home with the boys so I could go out for girls' night. Seven of us met for dinner, bowling, & a much-needed break.
Saturday morning we headed to Lewiston for groceries & decided to drive on to Moscow to check out the town. We were able to return some school clothes to Old Navy that I'd ordered online for Ethan but were too big...they actually have a little 'mall' in Moscow & even a Winco, which I've really missed. Jeff & the boys went to the car wash & then watched Rio in the parking lot while I got groceries by myself...it was really nice not to have to chase/yell/worry about kids while making sure I got everything on the list.
By the time we got home it was getting late so we put groceries away, had dinner, and put kids to bed. Jeff has been teaching Gospel Doctrine for the past 2 weeks filling in for the teacher who will be gone another 3 weeks, so he worked on his lesson while I cleaned out the pantry. There was still a bunch of Mr.Bob's food left in there and it feels much less disorganized now.
On Sunday I taught my first lesson to the Young Women. Although I'm the Laurel Advisor, I will be teaching all of the girls...which totaled 5 on Sunday. Jeff went home teaching that afternoon & visited a family who built their home around their 5th wheel. That's right. Their camping trailer is built into their house. While he was gone I swept the kitchen floor & came across a hobo spider...it was so nasty & I've been loosing sleep thinking about how many more could be around. It gives me the willies. I captured it in a plastic cup & drowned it, now Jeff has been given the assignment to buy traps for them & also spray the house inside & out as advised by the locals.
Then we went to dinner at a family's house that is in our ward. They are both from Texas but lived on a tiny little island up in Alaska before coming here. They have built two zip lines on their property, one for kids and a higher one for adults. The vidoes are from Jeff's phone, so they aren't the best quality, but you get the idea...
Ethan:
Jeff:
Kamden:
I didn't attempt the zip line, maybe next time...we also went on a 4 wheeler ride and about died when a logging truck came flying around the corner toward us, spraying gravel and dirt all over me, Jeff, & Owen. But it was a beautiful drive & the area sort of reminded me of home with fields, livestock, & old barns. They live across town & up another mountain but it's a half-hour drive from our place to theirs.
On the way home it was dark & we could see the lights of Orofino below as we drove down from their house. Kamden commented on how pretty the lights were and then said "They are pretty like Mommy." Even though he threw a major embarrassing-crying-screaming fit right before we left, he can still be pretty sweet sometimes.
Then it was time for bed & time to start another week.
5 more days until the weekend!


No comments: