It's after 10pm and I just tucked Ethan in after a trip to the Emergency Room. He was racing Jeff up the stairs and put his arm sideways between Jeff's calves when Jeff took his next step without realizing where Ethan's arm was, twisting it. I debated weather or not it was serious enough to take him to the hospital but when Ethan (who doesn't like going to the doctor) started saying "I just wanna go to the doctor" I figured we'd better go. He'd been holding his arm and would cry in pain if I touched it. He could bend his wrist and wiggle his fingers but said from his shoulder to below his elbow hurt "really, really bad."
Since Kamden was already asleep, Jeff waited at home while I took Ethan in. They did x-rays but his arm hurt too bad to turn it the way the technician wanted him to and since I'm pregnant I had to stay behind the wall and couldn't stay beside Ethan, I felt so bad for him and hope he never has to go to an Emergency Room again though I'm greatful for the doctors and nurses who took care of him. On the drive home Ethan said he "Only liked the doctor with the white shoes because he gave me stickers."
It ended up that he'd just bruised it really bad and they sent us home with his arm wrapped up and said it shouldn't be bothering him within a few days. It's a horrible feeling when you have to decide if you should take your child to the emergency room or not and I hope I don't find myself in that position again but I'm so thankful it wasn't anything too serious and that he's going to be up and running (probably jumping off the couch and racing up the stairs) in no time.
9 comments:
I know what you mean about hating to decide if you need to go to the ER or not. Unfortunately all of our ER trips have involved cuts and gashes. Still it isn't any fun to feel so helpless.
Not soo fun, sorry you guys had to deal with that!! We are glad Ethan is OK!!
I hate when you go in and find out they can do nothing for you though, if you could just know without going in that it is nothing, or something, it would be nice. But, you can't, so we've made our fair share of ER/doctor appts. that turn out to be a complete waste of money. I totally love those cakes you made for your boys, that farm one was awesome! (I'm seeing the slide show under my comment window ;-))!!
Basically, I hate paying for peace of mind.
Oh gosh! Those little scares are no fun. Boys will be boys, right? Glad Ethan is doing ok!
Poor little guy - glad everything is OK!
I am glad he is ok oh man you should have called one us could have stayed with Kamden so you both could have gone!
Hi Holly--this is Kodie formerly Stott. I just had to say that me and my sister have a theory about doctor/hospital visits. They are a lose/lose situation. You either feel annoyed that you spent money to find out there's nothing the doctor can do, or you feel guilty that your kid is really sick, and you should have taken them in sooner.
I remember those days, I've coome home with boys in casts, stitches, splints and one date for surgery the following morning. I'm glad Ethan didn't have a broken bone.
Post a Comment