Friday, March 28, 2008

What's In A Name

Jeffrey: Derived from an Old French form of a Germanic name. "Geoffrey" became common among nobility.
The story behind it:
I don't know if there is a story as to why Jeff's parents named him Jeffrey, but his middle name, Hurst, is his mother's maiden name.

Holly: Means simply "holly" from the name of the tree. Derived from Old English holen.
The story behind it:
My parents were going to name me Megan but dad didn't really want that so when mom was in the hospital they were trying to decide what to call me. Mom was talking to our good family friend, Betty Joe, who suggested the name Holly since I was born ten days before Christmas. The name stuck and my middle name, Diane, is after my mother.

Ethan: Means "solid, enduring, strong, optimistic" in Hebrew. This was the name of a wise man in the Old Testament.
The story behind it:
We had the hardest time coming up with a name for our first baby, we couldn't agree and everything we came up with had some sort of weird association for the other. I suggested 'Ethan' and we both liked it and couldn't think of ever knowing anyone with that name. When Ethan was two months old, we moved and in our new ward there were about three other Ethans! His middle name is Jeffrey, after his dad.

Kamden: From a surname which was from a place name perhaps maning "enclosed valley" in Old English.
The story behind it:
I liked the name Kamden when I was expecting Ethan, but couldn't talk Jeff into it and we didn't even seriously consider it. We were set on naming Kamden 'Noah' until I was about 7 months pregnant and I knew I wanted 'Kamden'. Also, Jeff served his mission in South Carolina and there is a town there called Camden. His middle name, Earl, is after Jeff's grandfather.

No comments: