Monday, June 18, 2012

Weeks of Summer Part 3

 On Tuesday the boys & I went with Jeff to Ketchum where he worked on Wednesday. I had never been to Ketchum before but I stayed in Hailey once with a college roommate. She was from Hailey & her parents owned some gas stations & paid us to do inventory for them over the weekend. I'm still trying to decide if it was worth it...inventory is never fun. Though it was easier counting packs of gum and cans of soda than counting nails, screws, paint brushes, & lumber like I did when I worked at a hardware store during High School.
Anyway.
We got to Ketchum & left our luggage at the hotel before going in search of some grub. We ate at a local burger joint before driving around. We spotted this giant-cowboy-boot-wearing-chair so we stopped for pictures...it's not every day you get a photo op with oversized furniture.
We also found a walking path that led to a memorial for Ernest Hemingway, who did a lot of his writing in Idaho & stayed at the Sun Valley Lodge. If you look close you can see a sculpture of his head on top of the podium, but it's kind of hidden by the trees. Then we walked down the rest of the path that overlooked the golf course & Jeff & Ethan stood there & drooled until we could pull them away.
Now, even though I'm an authentic Idahoan, I had no idea that Sun Valley wasn't an actual town, that it's basically just the ski resort & the town is Ketchum & that's where everyone lives/works. I suppose it could be a fun place to visit in the winter or if you had a reason for going, but it's not a very kid-friendly place. They don't even have a city park with a playground. Their parks are basically a parking lot with either a hiking trail or walking/biking path. Which is fine, but not when you have 3 kids to entertain for hours while Jeff is working & needs the rental car to get around. We had to check out of the hotel at 11 so we walked around & went into some of the shops but that only entertains 3 boys for so long. There were sculptures around town of deer & one of a moose. The boys started climbing around it & Kamden went underneath & yelled out "I can see where it pees!" I guess at least the sculptor was anatomically correct with his creation.
At lunch time we ate at a pizza joint & met Jeff there. The pieces of pizza were almost bigger than our plates.
 Owen couldn't even pick his up, & this was after I'd cut it in half...
 Jeff had to finish up so I took the boys to a little splash park but it was a bit chilly with the breeze so that didn't occupy them for very long, either.
 Jeff had asked around about things to do but there really wasn't anything. No parks, no movies, nothing. Everything like that was in Hailey & Jeff needed the car. While we had been walking around the boys had been gathering all of the tourist pamphlets so we looked at them & there was one that had a map of the town. I spotted an Elementary school not far from where we had stayed so we went there & played for a bit.
I pushed the boys around on this & Kamden kept saying 
"Keep your arms, legs & heads inside the ride at all times, & enjoy your day at Lagoon!"
 When Jeff finished up we drove to Twin Falls since he was working there on Thursday. Thankfully we were in a hotel that had an indoor pool so the boys swam a bit that night before we went to dinner. 
The next morning Jeff had to be in Gooding by 8am so again the boys & I were left without a car. We had to check out at 11 but thankfully the hotel let us leave our luggage in their back office while we went & walked around. We didn't plan this trip out very well & I hadn't realized we would have to check out so early & the boys & I would be stranded. We walked around Twin Falls & got a Jamba Juice before walking around the mall & deciding to see Madagascar 3 since Jeff was still going to be awhile.
By the time Jeff showed up to get us I was wishing I had just stayed home. Entertaining kids for 5+ hours isn't easy.
On Friday Jeff's brother & his family came so that Tyler could golf in a tournament with Jeff & Brian. Jolynne & the kids came & swam at one of our subdivision pools & stayed the night.
There was a raffle after the tournament & Jeff won 2 Southwest airline tickets to anywhere that they fly! The best thing to ever come from Jeff's golfing!
 On Saturday we had plans to get together with my family since my sister was here from Oregon & Ryan & Charly were back from Wyoming.
We met at the reservoir & took the good ol' SeaSwirl out to test her after making the trek from Orofino. Uncle Ryan rode the tube with Kamden & Owen, but Ethan was too busy playing with Isabelle. He decided that he wanted to ride the tube when we were loading the boat back on the trailer.
On Sunday we celebrated Father's day.
I'm so thankful for Jeff, for the wonderful Dad that he is to our boys & that he works so hard for our family. 
In church Ethan filled out a sheet about his dad. One of the questions was: 
My dad is really strong, he could lift a ___________.
Ethan's answer was: my mom. 
I guess it's time to start dieting...
The other things Ethan wrote about his dad were:
My dad is 30 years old.
My dad's favorite color is red.
My dad's favorite food is enything.
My dad always says "Ethan, Kamben Let's go somewher."
My dad is the best at golf.
My dad's job is Wolls Forgo.
My dad laughs when I de funy.
If my dad had time, he would love to play with me.
My dad & I like to play with you.
My dad really loves our family.
I LOVE my dad because plays sports with me.

Happy Father's Day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

1. I'm mad at you. You were in Twin Falls but never called/texted/emailed? I would have taken you guys somewhere seeing how you didn't have a car.
2. Sun Valley is a town, the locals get mad if you say it's not. They've got their own zip code and everything.
3. Nice blog and thanks for making it public again!

Holly said...

Cody, don't be mad! Maybe I am mad at YOU...I don't even have your #. It would've been nice to have a chauffeur. Stoker is the one who told me that Sun Valley isn't a town, he was told by someone who works at the bank. But I should know by now not to trust bankers :) But I suppose that if they have an actual zip code, then it qualifies as a town. Glad you enjoy the blog!