
Ammie Hershey. Hershey Squirts. She's gone by many names but her name now is Ammie Gillatt and she's been one of the best friends I've had in my life. Ammie and her family moved here when we were in the 8th grade. Ammie and I didn't, for some reason, particularly care for each other and I remember we once had words out by the schoolbus. I know, dramatic pre-teen girl moment.
During our 8th grade year, the tides changed as they always do, and Ammie and I found ourselves inseperable. We were the best of friends. Though we had our ups and downs, as all friendships do (especially in Middle School), we remained close until the summer after our Sophomore year when Ammie's family moved to Colorado.
We promised to stay in touch and did pretty good, for awhile, anyway. She came back to visit and even made it for my High School graduation. But the months turned to years and time just passed. Our lives changed and so did we, and the busy years after high school put distance between us. I got married and Ammie came back to visit some family in the area, so we met for dinner. Then she returned to her life in Colorado and again, life happened and somewhere along the way we just sort of lost touch. Since then I've had my two boys and she's met the man of her dreams, gotten married, and changed her last name from Hershey to Gillatt.
It's not like I didn't ever wonder what she was up to or what life had brought her way, but I wasn't sure how to get ahold of her. I'd lost her email address and had no idea if her family was still at the same address or even in the same state anymore.
So, imagine my surprise when just a few weeks ago I opened my email to find a message from Ammie telling me that she was now living less than 40 miles away! We wrote back and forth several times before finding a day we could meet for lunch and today we finally were able to get together. It was so nice to see her again, to reminisce about the great and funny times we had, and to catch up on the last four and a half years of our lives. She's started a blog, so I'm happy to be able to stay in touch, and we're going to get together with our husbands soon for a night out.
I hope this inspires you to get in touch with a friend you've lost track of over the years! And thanks to Ivette for watching my boys!
1 comment:
Thats funny I did something kind of the same on my blog page:).
Post a Comment