Monday, March 31, 2008

Backseat Driver


The boys and I ran errands today and picked up some flowers and shrubs to plant. On the way to Home Depot I took a corner a little fast and here's what Ethan had to say about it:
"Mom, you'd better slow down or the police guys will get you."
Nothing like getting driving tips from a three-year-old!

He has this stuffed Elmo that is almost as big as he is and latley he's been referring to it as his 'baby'. Elmo has to sleep in Ethan's bed with his own blanket and Ethan lets us know when Elmo is hungry and tired. This morning when we were getting ready to go do our errands Ethan insisted that Elmo come with us. I tried to explain that we didn't really have room for him (I now drive a 4-door sedan that seats 5 as opposed to the seats-7 SUV we recently sold) and he just didn't understand that we didn't have a lot of space for the things we were going to buy AND for Elmo. That did not go over well. To make a long story short and save you the details of the following temper-tantrum...Elmo came along for the ride and sat cozily (taking up valuable space) between Ethan's carseat and Kamden's. Thankfully Elmo didn't require a seatbelt and he was fine waiting in the car while we went into the stores. I'm begining to wonder if it really is the 'Terrible Twos'...I think the 'Terrible Threes' is more like it.

We took a bathroom break in WalMart and Ethan's at the stage where he wants to go into the stall all by himself so I wait right outside. When he came out his left sleeve was soaked clear up to his shoulder! I asked him what happened and he said he didn't know so I asked him if he stuck his arm in the toilet and he said yes! (EW!) When I asked him why, he didn't have an explaination and acted like he had no idea what I was talking about...I guess it will always be a mystery.

When we were almost home, Ethan looked out the window and saw a golf course. He got really sad and said he wanted to go golfing with Grandpa Stoker, Daddy, and Uncle Brian. I told him it was too cold outside to go golfing and that Grandpa Stoker was too far away to go golfing right now but that I'm sure Ethan will get the chance to golf with him sometime this summer. That wasn't good enough and he just had the saddest face, so Ethan called his Grandpa and told him he wanted to go golfing. Grandpa was on the road in Washington but he told Ethan to be sure and have his golf clubs ready because they'd go golfing soon. I know Ethan will make sure Grandpa remembers!

No comments: