Monday, October 17, 2011

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig

Thursday morning my "Aunt" Betty Joe passed away. She was the dear friend & housemate of my Aunt Fran, who is the sister of my grandmother. My parents had a name picked out for me but couldn't make up their minds when I was born. Betty Joe suggested that since I was born 10 days before Christmas, they name me "Holly". She also suggested that my middle name be Joe, but my parents went with Diane, after my mom.
Every summer I would spend several days at Aunt Fran & Betty Joe's house, sleeping on their green "davenport" & listening to Betty Joe play her harmonica & tell me about when I was a baby & how I used to "hoot 'n holler anytime they tried to wash my hair". Sometimes I couldn't fall asleep & would be missing my mom, & Betty Joe would sit beside me & rub my back until I fell asleep. We would go shopping, out to eat, & I would ride in the golf cart while they played the course.
Betty Joe was a teacher & joined the Navy during World War II. She always had a funny story to tell & lived a good life.
I wasn't going to drive down for the funeral, but when Jeff came home for lunch on Friday afternoon he said he thought we should go, so we hurried & packed. The weekend went by SO quickly, & now I'm back on this mountain...but here are some of the things we did while in town:
I got to meet baby Vaughn!
He is Jeff's baby brother's baby.
And he is SO cute, I could've sat there & held him all day.
Brian, Sierra, & Mr.Vaughn went to lunch with us & then said our good-byes, which Vaughn was very upset over the fact that I was leaving, but I did my best to reassure him that I will be back in a few weeks.
I also got a picture of him in the hat I made for him during the drive from Orofino. I think I need to make him a bigger one...
Then we got a few groceries & found Halloween costumes for Ethan & Kamden...
Owen's should arrive in the next few days, I decided he's going to be Superman instead of the dinosaur costume we already have. A girl can never have too many super heros around.
We also watched the BSU game with my family, Jeff has really been missing football parties from the good ol' days & I've been missing having someone to visit with while he watches the game...(thanks Charly!)
Then all of a sudden it was time to pile back in the car & make the trip back up the mountain. We went through McCall this time & it was a beautiful drive, once the rain calmed down.
Orofino.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you didn't have to drive in the rain ALL the way and that you made it 'safe and sound'.

charly said...

miss you already. cant wait to see you again :)

Hodges Family said...

I can't believe you were in town and I didn't even know it. I might be crying as I type this. I was sicker than I dog but would have loved to see you!