Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Coupon

When Jeff took me out for the first time it was a group date to see Professional Bull Riding. I was pretty excited. I'd never been to a rodeo AND I was going out with a hot guy. Did I mention I was pretty excited?
Well.
Several things happened on that date that I will never forget.
#1: We all went to Perkins to eat before the PBR & after we'd looked at the menu for a bit Jeff asked me what I was going to get.
I didn't know yet, but before I could respond he said,
"I have a coupon, we could split a sandwich."
He was so cute, I almost fell off my chair.
I still give him a hard time about "the coupon" and every time we drive past a Perkins one of us is guaranteed to mention it.
It was the best sandwich I ever had.

#2. While we drove to the arena he mentioned that he'd grown up helping with his family's milk business.
Stoker's Milk.
The same milk that was, at that exact moment, in my parents' refridgerator.
I even called my mother right then to prove it to him.
I'd never called my mother while on a date before.

#3. After the PBR we walked around the college campus & up to the Train Depot. Little did I know that in just 4 months, I would be proposed to in that very spot.

#4. While at the Train Depot, Jeff's mom called & he talked to her for a bit. I'd never had a guy talk to his mom while we were on a date.
While he was on the phone, a bulb in one of the lightposts burst for some reason, spraying shards of glass into the pond.
Guess we had more chemistry than we knew...

#5. Even though I had no idea at the time, I was on the last "first date" of my life.
Because, you see, I'd just met the man of my dreams.
I was on a date with my future husband.
8 years ago today you asked me
to be your wife.
The best decision I ever made
was when I said yes.

No comments: