Since we are moving in a week and so far I've succeeded at not getting too sentimental, I gave in and wrote a little something in honor of the money pit that has been our home for the past 5 years. Here goes:
The house at 316 Maple
Has taught me so very many things...
Like the meaning of "Buyer's Remorse"
And the horrible feelings that it brings.
The house at 316 Maple
Has caused me sorrow and despair...
Sometimes I wondered if my sanity
Was beyond repair.
Ethan grew up
In a Construction zone...
I doubt we would have purchased you
If we had only known...
...How much time and effort
that this house would take,
Or if we had known
What a mess it all would make.
Dust, dirt, and power tools
Are what we lived with these past 5 years.
And the progress we've made has taken
Our blood, sweat, and tears.
The projects were never-ending
Hanging drywall, installing floors, and painting...
Putting in air conditioning
To avoid the risk of fainting.
Updating the plumbing, electrical,
Installing new water-heateaters and floors,
Puting in new windows
And hanging up new doors...
Adding insullation
Under floors, in walls, and the ceiling...
Everything adding up
Left our bank account reeling...
A Mother's Day gift
For just what I had wished!
A stair railing installed
And crossed off the list!
Our second child was on the way
And we'd purchased a new business, too...
Oh, 316 Maple...
I wasn't quite ready for you...
There wasn't just work
On the inside to do...
There were projects outside,
And not just a few...
Leveling out the yard
Was a project to dread...
And while cleaning out flowerbeds
We found names of the dead...
With two little boys
Running wild and free,
A fence with a gate
Was a priority...
And what of the driveway
With dirt that was bare?
Add to the long list
Gravel to be spread there...
The list went on
With a new front and back porch...
At times I was tempted
To destroy you with a torch.
It's true, 316 Maple,
That over these 5 years
You've brought to my life
Frustration and tears...
But more important
Are the lessons I've learned
Of hard work and patience
And things that are earned...
You may not have been beautiful
When our journey did start,
But these four walls hold memories
I'll keep in my heart.
~*~
My babies' first steps
were taken here,
My oldest completed
His Kindergarten year...
Bringing Kamden home
when he was tiny and new,
And watching that baby
as he grew and grew...
Ethan hanging undies
up on a hanger,
Owen wearing them on his head...
which one is stranger?
Kamden turned one
and devoured his cake,
Playing in the leaves
with no need for a rake...
When Ethan turned two
it was hard to believe,
Riding his bike was something
he worked hard to acheive...
Backyard mudpits
make the best of friends,
Popsicles are best on summer days
that don't end...
Kamden was determined
to learn how to walk,
Ethan almost got lost
in the garden corn stalks...
Ethan & Kamden
sure love their little brother,
Although sometimes he makes life hard
for his mother...
At 316 Maple
Ethan's teeth have been lost,
And who can guess how much
these ugly sweaters cost?
There have been snow forts
in the front yard...
And snow angels too,
And at 316 Maple the boys learned
where to poo...
Owen learned how to roll over
while lying on the floor,
And in 2010
Kamden turned FOUR!
We've enjoyed apples
from our very own tree,
Sometimes in the backyard
this is what I'd see...
One year I had Jeff
hang the Christmas lights up high,
And Owen has learned
how to throw a fit and cry...
Ethan rides his bike now
without training wheels,
And the boys have worn everything,
including tank tops and heels...
Owen turned one
and he made quite a mess,
Sometimes when the boys asked to help,
I said YES!
The boys went to bed on Christmas Eve
in jammies that were new,
And, on occasion,
we built a fort or two...
Sundays have included
watching football games,
And who can help but laugh at Owen
in these funny frames?
He is quite the helper
when it comes to mopping floors,
And cleaning up the kitchen
is one of Kamden's favorite chores...
Camping out upstairs
is a favorite thing to do,
And Kamden loved his tractor cake
when he turned TWO!
Ethan likes playing trucks,
he's great behind the wheel,
And it sure is a challenge
getting these three to sit still...
Owen used to love
bathtime in the sink,
And Ethan loved his 5th birthday cake,
he didn't know what to think!
Afternoons have been spent
eating tortillas with cheese,
And because of 316 Maple,
we've made friends like these...
In 316 Maple's kitchen,
Jeff has become quite the cook,
And I can't begin to count
all of the walks we took...
Christmas mornings
were always full of surprise,
And our family grew
right before my eyes...
Sounds of little feet running
constantly filled my ears,
I could hardly believe it
when Ethan celebrated 6 years...
There was time spent climbing
the backyard walnut tree,
And back in '09
our little Kamden turned THREE!
Playing outside
and camping in the tent,
Owen's first smiles...
I'll never forget...
Carving Jack-O-Lanterns
just for Halloween,
Cleaning up some of the biggest messes
that I've ever seen...
Watching Ethan
do Pilates on the floor,
Building a snowman family
when our family had four...
Ethan was all smiles
while decorating the Christmas tree,
And in December of '07
is when he turned THREE!
Playing in the sprinklers
and trying to cool down,
Finding the cutest cowboy
in the whole darn town...
Going for bike rides
up and down the street,
Watching Kamden learn to stand
upon his own two feet...
Football parties with friends
were always lots of fun,
Brothers reading books together
when the day was done...
An afternoon nap
after hours of play,
The best Daddy ever,
Happy Father's Day!
Eating corn on the cob
til your tummy is full,
And Dinosaur Hunting
never was dull...
Building with Lincoln Logs
gave hours of bliss,
My heart just melts
when I see things like this...
At 316 Maple
I hosted my first Thanksgiving EVER,
And time spent here with family
is something that we'll treasure...
Golfing in the backyard
is one of Ethan's favorite things to do,
While Kamden would rather eat...
Bet you didn't know that, did you?
So 316 Maple,
It's been quite the ride
As we rebuilt and transformed you...
Oh, how we tried.
We didn't realize
The way our lives would go
During the whole process
As we made this house a home.
How can I regret
The blood, sweat, and tears...
When you've given me so much
Over the past 5 years?






































































4 comments:
awww... i totally cried over this post holly. loved it. you guys are amazing
You are a very talented lady, Holly. Your folks will miss you when you move. Love to all of you
That's awesome, what a cool memory keeper you created in that post! I love it, and what a ride huh?! Geez! Good luck in the future! Love, Kalia
Bittersweet!
Post a Comment