Mr. E,
When did you grow so big? There is no way that it could possibly be almost 6 years since you came into this world. No. Way. It's a mystery where the time has gone.
But it's true. Apparently people think that you are old enough to venture out into the big world on your own and fill your head full of learning, and that I am just supposed to be okay with that.
Part of me is, I suppose, when I think about how excited you are to go to school and learn and, most especially, "play at recess". My heart has all kinds of hopes for you as you start out on this adventure that is the begining to wherever your dreams will take you. I believe you with my entire being when you tell me you are going to "be a basketball player and a bull rider" (although my nerves will thank you if you forego the latter) as well as a "fireman guy and a golfer". And when I ask you what you're going to be when you grow up, your blue eyes light up and you say "The same as Daddy."
My head is full of all kinds of advice I want to give and hopes that you can somehow learn from my mistakes without making your own. But then I remember that you'd never learn anything for yourself if that were the case.
And I'm only a little discouraged that you didn't cry or even run over to me when I watched you line up with your class and march on out toward the playground. I'm sure the slides and monkey bars were calling your name so loudly it distracted you from the seperation anxiety you had to have been feeling. Then, when I told you it was time to go, you said in your most disappointed voice "Already?!" But, at least you are excited to go back...hopefully that lasts for the next 13 years.

2 comments:
Isn't it crazy sending them off for the beginning of the rest of their lives? And hoping everything goes well all day and that they are learning and thriving. I wish we could be flies on the wall so we could see them without them realizing we are there. It's definitely bittersweet letting our babies grow up!
This is such a sweet little letter. Gosh it makes me tear up thinking about sending my boy to school and I still have a few years. You're such a great mom. Thanks for sharing this!
Post a Comment