Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Cell Phone & A Washing Machine

It all started on Monday morning. Don't you just LOVE Mondays? (There's sarcasm there in case you didn't pick up on that.) When I come downstairs in the morning I pile everything I can into the laundry basket along with the clothes that I'm going to wash that day. Kamden's bottle, Ethan's cup, the boys' breakfast dishes...my cell phone. It's not a bad idea, as long as you remember what you put in there and make sure you got it all out before you start the wash. I've even accidentaly ran one of Kamden's wet diapers through the wash before.
So, I put the dishes in the sink and dumped the clothes in the washer, started it, and went about the day. An hour later I began wondering where my cell phone was because I needed to make some calls about visiting teaching. Since we don't have a landline I emailed Jeff and told him to call my phone, hoping I'd hear it ring and I'd find it. I wandered upstairs, certain that I'd taken it down with the laundry. The laundry. Oh, great.
I hurried down, opened the washer, and there on top of the clothes was my poor phone. The entire cycle had already finished and it was soaked. I could see the water sloshing around behind the screen and, no matter how hard I pushed the 'ON' button, nothing happened.
I remembered what my mom did several months ago when she dropped her phone in their pond...warm rice in the microwave then remove the cell phone battery. Put both the phone and the battery barried under the warm rice and let it sit for the day. The rice should absorb the moisture from the phone.
I heated the rice, I let the phone sit. All day. I took it out that night, replaced the battery, and...nothing. So, I reheated the rice, buried the phone and battery again, and went to bed feeling a little depressed about how reliant I am on a cell phone.
The next day, at noon, I'd given up on it. I figured that after going through an entire cycle in the washing machine there was no hope. I took it out of the rice, put the battery back in and pushed the 'ON' button. Still, nothing.
Kamden was sitting in his high chair eating lunch and he loves to play with phones. Since I didn't think the phone was any good, I handed it to him and sat down to eat. Moments later, he threw the phone on the floor and I heard it. My phone had turned on! It was actually working! I picked it up and stared at it, not quite believing it. Then I made a phone call to see if it really worked. It did! And now, three days later, my phone is working as if nothing happened. The screen is still a little fogged up, but it works!
This morning I headed downstairs with the basket of laundry in tow (my cell phone was sitting safely on the dresser upstairs) and I started the washer before heading back upstairs to get the boys dressed and continue through the morning routine. About an hour later I came back downstairs to find water almost into the bathroom, in the kitchen, and out by the washer. I hurried over and lifted the lid, turning off the washing machine. The hose had come off of the fixture on the wall and water was EVERYWHERE. Just what I needed when I had people coming over in an hour and I wasn't even out of my bathrobe yet. I'm happy to say that I took care of the problem all on my own. I cleaned up the water AND reattatched the hose. Nothing a little duct tape couldn't handle. The only down side is that when Jeff gets home from work he's going to pull up some of the flooring to make sure there's not water under there. Another project to add to a long list of projects. I wonder what tomorrow has in store for me?

No comments: